Wētā Sydney Lightweight Trailer with Aluminium Ramps
Loading the boat onto the trailer
- Unfold the ramps and set them so they are lined up with the edges of the platform.
- Unravel the winch hook and rest the hook in the middle of the platform
- Line up the boat on the trolley so the wheels are lined up with the ramps and bring it forward so the wheels are touching the ramps. Attach the winch hook which should be conveniently located to reach the trolley upright. Push the hook through between the rubber stopper and the V-chock on the trolley upright and hook onto the webbing.
- Use the winch handle to pull the trolley onto the trailer using your free arm to steer the front of the trolley so the bow is kept clear of snags.
- Tighten the winch until the trolley is held tightly against the roller of the winch bar so that the bow rises keeping the trailer clear of the drawbar*.
- Secure the safety chain around the trolley*.
*TIP: Consider adding Webbing Protector sleeves to protect the webbing of the winch on the sharp edges of the trolley and prevent the safety chain from cutting into the aluminium of the trolley.
Securing the boat for a short journey
To avoid damage to the trolley, always tie the boat to the trolley and then the trolley to the trailer.
Secure the main hull to the trolley using the rope trolley ties at the stern and at the bow, secure the amas by taking the mainsheet over the tramps, through the coiled stays on top (you can leave the side stays attached to the amas to save time) and attach the mainsheet hook to the cunningham hook then tighten and secure with the mainsheet cleat. Then secure the trolley to the trailer at the bow and with two ropes from the axle to the rear corners of the trailer so it is kept centred on the platform.
NOTE Don’t use ratchet straps over the boat and attach them directly to the trailer – it can lead to scratches in the gelcoat or cracks.
The folded ramps will fit under the trolley with the boat loaded.
TIP Add a large rubber mat or carpet to the platform surface to prevent the ramps rattling