Wētā Marine are adopting a ‘Wētā evolution’ approach to keep pace with cutting edge technology and to ensure we keep fresh in the market while maintaining a One Design ethos. After a number of years of testing we have rolled out some boat upgrades to give the Wētā a refresh as we head towards 2020 and beyond.
Wētā foam core hulls
The new foam hulls fits the same one design rule of all Wētā but incorporates improvements in 2017. Redesigned foam core construction of all three hulls which is both stiffer and lower in weight, improving performance. The new foam hulls are approximately 12kg (26lb) lighter than the previous production boat. Sailors will find it easier to manage on land – with no negatives on the race course. Total weight is strictly controlled, now just at the class minimum – so no corrector weights are required for normal class racing. 120kg (265lb) so sits at the minimum in the Wētā Class Rules.
About the new hulls
It’s interesting to note the original four Wētā manufactured in NZ were a foam sandwich construction. The boats are fast and strong and still highly competitive. At the time – it was not an economic option to build production boats this way but the march of technology now means we can share this benefit with all.
By removing weight out of the boat while not compromising strength, assembly and moving the boat around on land is so much easier!
New Square Top Mainsail (SQ)
The SQ gives more power in light air, excellent downwind but still capable of handling the big breeze that the Wētā is famous for. In testing, this sail has worked very well over a wide wind range. It is fast and provides a nice boost in speed to the Wētā in all conditions.
About the new SQ
Over the years, the main criticism of the Wētā has been a lack of performance under 8kts of wind. While no one sail design can accommodate the range in crew weights the new SQ is a highly developed sail: radial cut, square top – all by North Sails.
The Square Top sail reduces the turbulence and drag generated by the mast – particularly the top section.
Wētā Sailing Options – now even more versatile!
- Foam core Wētā and SQ – this is a great choice if you are a racer and want a boost in performance especially in mixed fleets.
- Foam core Wētā and Standard 8.3 main – perfect for the lighter weight sailors or grandad. The foam core Wētā is a joy to trail and launch with its lighter weight hull.
- Foam core Wētā and smaller 6.5 main – perfect for mum or the kids who are lighter weight and want to play in the breeze with unmatchable stability. Great for dad in high wind with full control.
- Standard Wētā with standard 8.3 main – if you are an explorer or rock hopper then this non-foam cored boat can certainly take a pounding hitting the beaches. Complete the setup with a furling jib for easy sail management.
- Standard Wētā with Dacron main – this is your perfect sailing school or hire boat. Learn the basics quickly. Simple, safe and plenty of fun.